My 8 year old son got slightly burnt on his arm by a hot iron and a few minutes after, the burnt spot peeled to reveal a round peach scar and when he showed me, the words he said really broke my heart. He said, “Mum, if I did not feel pain, I would burn my whole body so that I could turn peach all round and I would not be killed for not being South African.” You can imagine what I felt after hearing those words. I wanted to cry but I could not. I wanted to gather him in my arms but feared to shock him as I did not think he knew the gravity of the words he had just uttered. I only mastered enough composure to tell him that he has a beautiful brown skin and there is no need to burn his skin to escape the hostility against black non South Africans.
As I set on my desk a few moments later, my son's words still rang loud in my ear as they do now while I write this post. In his 8 year old mind, he comprehended that the violence is not against white non South Africans but blacks. He comprehended that if only he was white or peach rather, he would not be killed and in his little mind, being peach was a form of escape from death. How sad.
I am not saying white non South Africans should be attacked as well. God forbid. What is evident though through the news bulletins and from what transpired in 2008 xenophobic attacks, the attacks are mainly by low income earners against other low income earners living in the impoverished informal settlements. They have been living and working alongside foreigners but they feel the cake is now too small for them to share. They have to fight for the same scarce resources that the government can barely provide and have become tired of competing. Because they are South Africans, they feel entitled to each and every morsel and are not prepared to share. Main cause, hunger, frustrations and a declining economy that is not able to support its population anymore. And as we know, the foreigners are the most vulnerable and the easiest scapegoat. But there are real issues here that need to be addressed. Will getting rid of the foreigners solve the real issues facing South Africa at the moment?
I am sure we are all affected in knowing how humanity has been hurt through these barbaric acts. Be it South Africans and non-South Africans. We both lose because of this situation and I am sure the government is well aware of this. Not all foreigners are here illegally. Many are helping the economy in a positive way. No non South African can get a government grant or enjoy the many benefits that come with being a natural black South African. But many foreigners employed in South Africa through work permits pay taxes towards the government coffers. We cannot send our children to government schools with a waiver on school fees if we cannot afford and cannot get a study permit for our children if they do not have medical aid which is to mean that they should not benefit from the public health system. Even if we work here long enough and become permanent residence and later on citizens of South Africa, the fact that we were not citizens pre 1994 means we are not entitled to the many benefits allocated to black South Africans. Fair enough and understandable since those who came to SA post 1994 were not previously disadvantaged under the apartheid system. The government has been changing laws every time and again to make harder the life of the foreigner in South Africa and make more opportunities available to the black South Africans. The latest being that foreigners are not allowed to own land which the presidency had to explain later what he meant and I think in a revised tone after seeing the reaction from the public.
So when I look at the life of a black South African today, I start to wonder. Besides making the boarders and making sure that the police are less corrupt and do not take bribes from overstayed foreigners, what more can the government of South Africa do and how worse off will the life of a foreigner working in South Africa be? Is killing all foreigners or rather African origin foreigners in a bid to force us to leave the best solution to our shrinking cake? South Africans have many opportunities to prop them along in getting jobs, starting businesses and mentorship programs to help them along already.
In my opinion, I think the major problems that need to be solved without delay are:
- Our porous borders mainly because of corrupt police officials who ask for bribes starting at the border from border jumpers, along the high way and in and around towns, who ask for bribes from overstayed foreign nationals and illegal immigrants as if they are collecting a type of tax from them.
- Ignorance by some of the South Africans who do not know the part that legal immigrants who contribute to the economy play for the country and also enabling the government to provide the few resources to the general public.
- Ignorance by some of the South Africans that South Africa is part of the global village and as long as that stays true, foreigners will always be a part of South Africa and South Africans will also go to other countries. And also that it was with the help from the global community which contributed to put pressure on the government to end apartheid.
- Complacence by the government and inability to act swiftly in a comprehensive manner so that any flare ups are stopped in the bud and also prosecuting the wrong doers. If the perpetrators of xenophobic acts are not prosecuted or made to account for their actions, what stops them or anyone from doing the same again?
- Failure by the government to deal with crime, specifically violent crime and drugs. Corruption being the main culprit in this case as well. Even if the criminals are arrested, they somehow get themselves on the streets in no time. So if there is no restraint, it becomes a free for all state. The small fish are jailed whilst the hard core criminals are supping with the corrupt members of the police. Very sad.
- Implementing policies that grow the economy rather than sabotaging its growth.
These are not all but in my opinion, they are some of the real problems that need to be solved. Just stopping the violence by using rubber bullets will only be superficial because the tensions that started xenophobia in the first place will still be there like an angry boiling volcano ready to erupt and consume the land with its hot lava at the slightest opportunity.
Either way, issues or no issues, no amount of anger or frustration with the current state of affairs justifies killing another person just because of their nationality. Every life is important. Come on. Say NO TO XENOPHOBIA. Rather contribute ideas on what needs to be done in a peaceful and progressive way. What do you think should be done? Should foreigners leave South Africa? Should we pack our bags and go as the good king of the Zulu's put it?
No comments:
Post a Comment